Friday, June 11, 2010

Vintage Books: The Scarlet Pimpernel and Macbeth

I love vintage books. Paperback, hardback, 40 years old, 200 years old. They're all beautiful, and they all have a story behind them, even if I don't know it. My writer's brain likes to think of what could have happened to each book before I bought it. But of course, my stories are probably much more dramatic than the real stories...

I bought this copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel at a little antique store in Payson, Arizona while visiting the Grand Canyon. It was a dollar. It was the second installment to my vintage collection and the first I had bought on my own. I hadn't read the book yet but I owned another, new copy of the book and wanted to read it soon. (I ended up reading it last fall...I'll be posting about it this summer.) This copy is a 1963 Airmont Classic, and when they published it, it was 50 cents. On the inside of the front page it says, "To Beth, With love." And who wrote that? Who was Beth, and how did they know her? What did Beth think of the story when she read it, probably 45 years ago? How did it end up in Payson, Arizona?


As I was searching around for more good reads in that little antique store, I found this copy of Macbeth. I hadn't read it yet or bought a copy. It, too, was a dollar. It's a 1970's printing from the Folger Library of Simon & Schuster, Inc.

Both are good, still-strong copies. They are my only two paperbacks, and they add a nice touch to the rest of the collection.

Happy reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment