Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Buys 7/23/11 - 7/29/11

So.  This week was the week that I discovered that the library store about ten minutes north of my house had restocked and was having a half off sale.  Yes, indeed.  And I must say that I bought out the whole store.  Ok, well, maybe not, but it felt like it, considering that I came home 10 books heavier.  Plus the day before I had bought two books really cheap at the library a mile from my house, AND I had received an ARC in the mail.  So.  Here goes.

Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
I received this book for review the other day and I'm soooo excited to start reading it! :D


The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine
I keep hearing great things about this book.  I've never read any of Levine's novels but I have two of them and am so excited to read both!
Bought used but in good condition for 50 cents.


The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit
Ahhhh, Nesbit...  I now own three of her books and I'm dying to read at least one.  Maybe I'll read all three and then do a combined review?  We shall see...  But I sure loved the movie for "Five Children and It", all its cheesy moments and unrealistic happenings.  That's sometimes what fairy tales are made of. ;)
Almost brand new for $1.00.


My little sister bought this book and the one below for $1.00 (for both).  Swordbird by Nancy Yi Fan and The Good Dog by Avi.  I mention them because I'll probably end up reading Swordbird (I enjoyed the writing that I read) and I might read The Good Dog.  I doubt it, though.  I don't normally like books all about animals.



Daughter of Venice by Donna Jo Napoli
This book looks SO good.  Like, really really really good!!!  I'm so looking forward to reading it...and soon!
$1.00 in great condition.


 These next three are books 2-4 of the Keys to the Kingdom series.  I have Mister Monday, and want to read the series.  So when I found Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, and Sir Thursday for 75 cents to $1.25 each in almost perfect condition, I couldn't pass it up.


Miss Spitfire by Sarah Miller
I am SOOOO stoked to read this one.  It's the story of Helen Keller, told from her tutor Annie's perspective. I'd heard about this book from my mom, but never thought about it again after until I saw it at the bookstore...I had to buy it.  I'm really looking forward to reading/reviewing this one.
$2.50 for a brand new hardcover.


Maximum Ride, books 1-3, hardcover, perfect condition.  Never been read.  $2.50 for all three of them.  Yes, you read right.  No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you.  Trust me, this is not a fantasy.  It really happened.  I now own The Angel Experiment, School's Out - Forever, and Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports.  Brand new.  Hardcover.  For DIRT cheap.  YESSSSSSSSSS!  (Napoleon Dynamite style...)


Here's the pile. :D  I'd say this was a good week, wouldn't you?  I keep wanting to write a smiley face after every sentence.  I'm sooooo excited. :D
(These pictures were taken inside of a cute little drawer we are repainting.  It was the perfect spot since the rest of my house is covered in ugly boxes...lol!)
Total money spent on 13 books in one week - $11.00.  Booyah!



Oh, and I must share...  The other day some of my friends were over, helping us pack and clean up our old house.  We were all piled in my room, which was an absolute disaster.  I had just packed my favorites shelf and was in dismay (I'd kept them out just because I love to look at them...lol!).  Then they started making fun of me, and all of a sudden they were like, "Hey! You're like that lady from that movie...the one about books...  Like the old lady from Inkheart!  That's what it is!"  I just about died of laughter!!  It was a great book moment...  I mean, who doesn't love being compared to a grumpy old fart who lives alone and collects thousand dollar books? HA. HA. ;P

Happy reading!! :D

2 comments:

  1. Miss Spitfire looks really interesting; I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Little Women and Me! I hope you like it :) I also liked The Two Princess of Bamarre a lot. Nice finds on the Keys to the Kingdom books. I've been meaning to read that series, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete