Monday, August 29, 2011

Rip Tide by Kat Falls (Dark Life #2)

Read my review for the first book!


This review is devoid of spoilers for the first book except one quick spoiler in the summary!


Ty doesn't want Gemma to leave.  She lived at his house, with his family, for three months, but more than one accident in the water convinced her she needed to leave.  But now, after the Seaguard kicked her out of the Trade Station, Gemma wants to find her brother and live with him and the gang.  Ty is quite uncomfortable with this.
But when Ma and Pa are kidnapped by a town of Surfs, everything changes.  If Ty and Gemma can find out where the Township Sachem is, they can find Ma and Pa.  And the place to go for such information?  Rip Tide, the stack city where safety is never secure.  It will be a miracle if they get out of there alive, never mind what might come after...
_______________________________

My thoughts -
I love Kat Falls.  I love the way she writes.  I love how she creates her stories and shapes her characters and makes me shiver with anticipation or giggle with delight.  So, basically, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It was everything I was hoping for and more.  I pre-ordered it and started it the day after it arrived, I was so stoked.

Was there anything I didn't like?  Well, yes, only one thing.  The world building.  This was an issue (the only issue) in Dark Life.  This futuristic world is crazy cool and original, but I feel like Kat Falls' descriptions of buildings, Townships, stack cities, and certain underwater places lack depth, making it hard for the reader to picture everything clearly, especially with so much going on at all times.  However, this world is fairly easy to work with in your own mind, and I found myself adapting as I used my imagination to fill in the blanks.

Character notes -
I think of Ty and Gemma as one of those epic duos like Sam and Frodo, or Harry and Ron...except Ty and Gemma are a guy and a girl and, well...  They're kinda sweet on each other.  And it's kinda adorable.
Anyways...
I love the way both of their characters are developed and how they stay true to their personalities, especially Ty.  He's one lovable young man who is quite mature for his fifteen years.  Gemma is also memorable...I just can't get enough!

The side characters in this book were really awesome as well!  So much deception goes on, whether for good or bad, that you don't actually know who is doing what until the very end.  ("What do you mean?" you are probably asking.  Well...I can't tell you.  You must read the book!)  Captain Revas, Mayor Fife, Ratter, Representative Tupper, and Gabion are just a few.  They are all so complicated, with so many layers, and I was completely surprised when the end came about and I finally knew who was doing what.  I'd tried to guess but Kat Falls' twists and turns were too good for me!

Story notes -
Like I just said, layers.  This story is full of them.  New ones are added and old ones are taken away.  The whole time I was like, "Wow, something else?!"  The pace is quick but still gives enough to time to the reader to enjoy every detail.  The plot is thick.  The writing is beautiful.  Ty's voice and Kat's style work seamlessly together.

I wish the end twist about who was committing the crime would have been drawn out longer, but what's done is done and it was extremely enjoyable nonetheless!  And while all the loose ends about the story were tied, there are still some unanswered questions overall, which make me believe there is going to be a third book!!!

Summing it up -
When I think of this book, in my mind's eye I see pre-storm waves crashing and lightning striking.  What a story!  The originality of it - so like the first one and yet totally different - is enough to get anyone liking it.  And yet, still, it's one of those books I see on everyone's TBR, but so far down the list that it's easily forgotten.  Shame!  What fun, adventure, and danger are all missing out on!  You all should charge to the nearest bookstore and buy both books in hardcover.  And when the third book comes out (there has got to be a third!!), go buy that one, too.  Kat Falls has created something you won't want to miss out on!

Nothing for the parents.  11+

Read my other reviews!

1 comment:

  1. I started Dark Life after reading some great reviews and had a difficult time getting into it. Now after reding your review I am thinking I need to try again if for no other reason for the characters you described. Love your comparison of the epic duos. Thanks for the review, will definitely try this series again!

    ReplyDelete