So, where to start?
- I guess I could start with my first ARC copy received from the author. Miss Anne Osterlund was kind enough to send me a review copy of her newest book Exile, which I heartily devoured in a few short days. It was super awesome and I can't wait to share my review with you!
- These next books are like best friends...but in book form. 100 Cupboards, Dandelion Fire, and The Chestnut King by N. D. Wilson. They are (in my opinion) some of the best pieces of literature out there, especially for children. They have the writing, the story, the characters... Gosh, they're amazing! Hopefully I'll have reviews for those soon - I just need to re-read them! (Ok, I don't NEED to...I just want to. Haha!) (Oh, and by the way, Wilson has a new children's book coming out this summer, called The Dragon's Tooth. You should check it out! Looks amazing!)
- I love this book... To Catch A Pirate by Jade Parker. I've read it three times and decided it was just too cute to exclude from my shelf. So I got it for $3.00 in really good condition. Oh yah.
- And then....I bought some Harry Potter books. Numbers 5 and 6. For $3.00 each. $6.00 total. That's 1/10th of what I would have spent buying them new. They're in decent condition... Quite a bit roughed up, but that means they've been loved! (Now I just need books 1 and 7 and I'll have the whole series in hardcover! Used, but that's better than nothing. I've only read the first one, but it was so awesome that I had to get the rest. And if I don't like them...I'll just sell them or something. But I doubt that'll happen!!)
- The other day I got this lovely copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier for only $1.25!!! I keep seeing reviews about it and a reader friend told me it was good, so I'll definitely have to pick it up soon!
- Ah...The Phantom Tollbooth. I've never seen it for this cheap ($.50). Actually, I don't think I've seen it used, ever. So I had to snag it. I have never read it before but I've heard only awesome things about it. This copy is in really great condition, too!
- Scott Westerfeld's craze Uglies was in the used bookstore in good condition for $1.00. I could never pass that up!!
- Beauty (Robin McKinley) is one of those books that I feel like - "Everyone except me has read this book!" Well, that's about to change soon...or at least this year, as I've been reading a lot of fairytale retellings lately and feel like soon I'll need a break. Haha! But either way, I'm excited to read McKinley's rendition of the fairytale when I can get around to it. I got this lovely copy for $6.50 at the Borders Closing Blowout Sale near our house.
- The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen has been on my radar for a couple of months... After reading the synopsis for the third time I decided it looked too good to pass up... $8.00 on Amazon.
- Deception by Randy Alcorn actually just came up because it was cheap on Amazon... $6.00. I have the first two in the trilogy and am planning on reading them pretty soon...possibly for a trilogy review. Great deal, huh?
And then I bought two awesome notebooks... One for a "What I'm Reading" notebook because I'm on my last book in my current notebook. I bought another for a review notebook...cuz I desperately need to be able to write down the awesome (and not so awesome) stuff that I read... It's already helping so much with the books I'm currently reading. The notebooks are those brown eco-friendly ones that look really cool...but I'm deciding whether or not I want to just write what each one is for on the front and be done with it, or cover them with adorable paper and make it all frilly and cute. I'll let you know when I've figured it out... :)
So that's a list of the books I've bought this month! And tomorrow there will be more jackpots (I'm hoping...). Our Friends of the Library bookstore is having a huge sale, from 10-4 on the 2nd of April. I will be going asap to get my fill of cheap books, and then will probably be heading over to Borders for another look at their selection. The books last week were only 10-30% off. Next week they should be half-off or more, which means cheaper books... I just hope they'll still be left! Haha! :)
Happy reading and thanks for being so patient with this extremely long post!