Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig (Pretty Crooked #1)


Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig (Pretty Crooked #1)
Pages:  358
Release Date:  March 13th, 2012
Date Read:  2012, February 5th-11th
Received:  ARC from NetGalley
Rating:  4/5 stars
Recommended to:  13+





SUMMARY -
Willa Fox is no extraordinary girl, but her life has never been ordinary.  She's moved all over the country with her single mom, an artist just waiting to make it big.  But then she does make it big, and Willa's life is flipped dramatically.
First, they get the fancy new house.  Next, Willa is accepted into Valley Prep, the wealthiest school around. Not only that, but Willa is befriended by the Glitterati, and, believe it or not, the hottest guy at school who seems to have some special interest in her.
The life of glam is wonderful, for a time.  But what about Mary, Sierra and Alicia, nice girls who rely on scholarships to get this kind of an education?  When the Glitterati start to cross the line, taking good humor to the level of obscene, Willa has an idea.  With the help of Tre and even the Glitterati themselves, Willa keeps her eye on one goal - to bring balance and justice to the filthy rich halls of Valley Prep.

MY THOUGHTS -
Helloooo!  Elisa Ludwig deserves a standing ovation!!  Pretty Crooked is just one of those well-written, well-built, awe-inspiring books that leaves you totally satisfied but wanting more.  I love this book and will be very proud to have it on my shelf.  I'm already looking forward to reading this again and again and again!

CHARACTER NOTES -
Willa was fantastic.  I love her to death.  Her voice (mixed perfectly with Elisa Ludwig's writing style) caught me from the very beginning.  I agreed with some of her decisions and disagreed with others, but that was something that really drew me in - is everything she's doing right, or only some, or none of it?  (More on that in story notes...)  In any case, I really respected her and felt I could relate to her.  She rocked this book and I would totally read the next book just because of her.

But, amazingly, there is quite a bit more draw than just Willa.  Aiden?  Ummm yes please!  I didn't feel like he was a major role, but the end totally bumped him up and I'm sure there will be more of him in the next book!  He was...so confusing, so wonderful, so just...Aiden.  I'm in love with him.  True story.

I liked the other characters a lot as well!  The mean girls were mean....  Like, MEAN.  And even the mean girl who wasn't so mean was just...ugh.  She cared more about social status than standing up for the right thing, which infuriated me almost more than the mean girls themselves.  All the characters were really three dimensional and so impressive.

STORY NOTES -
This story is a puzzle, a moral question, a self-questioner.  Literally the whole book I was asking myself, "Is this right?  Is it necessarily wrong?  Is it justice or revenge?  Is this okay?!  What would I do???"

On top of that, there were a lot of twists and turns to keep you guessing.  The two big ones that had me really guessing:  Willa's mom (what the heck is she doing?!) and Aiden (mmmm).  I really really want to know more!

And can I just say - I felt way cool reading the scenes in which Willa... *ahem* does her thing.  You know, steals.  It sounds so bad.  It really does.  But what kind of an honest reviewer would I be if I didn't put that in here?  It was like, I felt cool, and super awesome that Willa was trying to smooth things out in her school, and yet really really guilty at the same time.  I mean, how did Elisa do that to me?!  I have no idea.  Ask her. ;)

I don't want to say too much about the story line because I feel like I'll give it away but man!  I just enjoyed it so much!  It was fascinating, well-written, with brilliant characters, great plot twists, and lots and lots of good questions!!

SUMMING IT UP -
Foxy (pun intended...) and way too cool.  I'm eagerly anticipating Pretty Sly, the next installment in Elisa's fantastic debut trilogy!!  Can you tell - I'm excited!!!!! :D

For the Parents -
A kiss, some crude comments.  Nothing over the top.  I definitely respect the author for this!!  Recommended 13+

*This ARC copy was provided by NetGalley in return for an honest review. I was in no way compensated; all thoughts and feelings expressed are my own.*



Watch the trailer!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review! Now I really need to put PRETTY CROOKED on my wishlist;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover, it would really stand out to me on a shelf. It sounds like it could be my kind of book. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, Rebecca!  Glad you might read it!  I definitely recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete