Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fast Pace VS Slow Pace (the good kind)

I'm back with another VS post!  (Finally!)  I've been trying to come up with two new somethings to pit against each other and this is what I (finally!) came up with.  It came to me because of all the slow paced books I was reading - and then suddenly I got a fast paced one and have been comparing them.

The Fast Books

You know the kind.


See, told ya.  I'm sure now you're thinking about all the many hours of sleep you lost over Katniss's adventures or how grumpy you were the two days you read it (and were still in heaven at the same time) because you (1. Had no sleep and (2. Were madly in love with Peeta and (3. Just wanted to get back into the story, gosh darn it!  Yeah, that's the kind of book I'm talking about.

Sometimes, this is the book that everyone wants.  It's easy, quick, and still enjoyable.  Sometimes, it even becomes your next favorite book ever and you read it again and again and again because it's easy to make time for it.

Now, there are those fast books that go by too fast.  They leave you panting and wondering, "What the heck did I even get out of that?!"  I've totally felt that way before.  However, for the most part, fast paced books are like a breath of fresh air.  And, to top it all off, pretty much anyone can handle them.


The Slow Books

You may not know the kind, because they can actually be pretty hard to find.


These books can be a gem.  They can also be deemed slow based off of personal experience or personal pace.  But for the most part, a slow paced book can be just as much of a breath of fresh air as a fast paced book.

There is a difference between Slow and Boring.  I do not recommend reading boring books.  If you can avoid them, do.  Slow books, on the other hand, I do recommend.  I recommend them for long summer days that are full of bathing suits and ice cream.  I recommend them for Christmas Break when you can curl up with a book for hours.  Small Review describes it perfectly as a "slow burn pace" in her review of The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielson.  In my review for A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce, I mentioned a couple of times that I loved the leisurely pace.  When I see this book which now sits on my shelf, I remember very well the feeling of the pace, like taking a long stroll along your favorite path.  It was beautiful, mesmerizing, and totally engrossing, without the pages flying past.  I really love this.


So what do you think?

I, for one, can honestly say I don't have a preference.  I love both equally and am impressed with either type of story when it's done right.

Some of my favorite fast paced books include The Hunger Games trilogy, The Mark of the Lion trilogy, and the Circle trilogy.  Some of my favorite slower books include Delirium, A Curse Dark As Gold, and Beauty.  They work for different purposes and make me feel different things.  I love that about the nature of books!  I also love that some people might find Delirium a fast paced book and The Mark of the Lion trilogy slow.

So what about you?  What do you prefer?  What are your thoughts on Slow VS Fast?  Leave me comments! :D
Also, there's a poll on the right sidebar for you to vote on what you want the next "VS" post to be about!  Let me know what thoughts you'd like to hear next. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oohhhhhh, I LOVE this VS idea that you have on here -- it's such a cool feature! At a glance, I'd probably say that I love fast-paced books better but all of the points you made are totally true: It really depends on the books and whether or not it's done RIGHT. The Hunger Games and a whole bunc of other books were so amazing with their fast pacing, but I also adored slower books like Delirium and Pandemonium! I still need to check out all of those other books that you mentioned ;)

    Amazing post, Sierra!! And I can't wait to see what your next VS thing will be -- definitely going to be voting! :) <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!  I'm so glad we agree on this one!  ;)  Oh, yes, do pick up those other books!  They're all so good!  I can't wait to hear what you think about "A Curse Dark As Gold" especially.  I think it's right up your alley.  And thanks for voting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I have read the two "Thief Errant" books by E. Bunce and really enjoyed her. Would you recomend A Curse as Dark as Gold? Have you read her other books? And fast or slow, what ever is good ;)

    Haley@www.passingthepages.blogspot.com
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete